Siding or wall cladding is a protective lining around the exterior side of a building. The purpose of the siding is to protect the exterior of the walls of the house and reduce its maintenance cost. There are many types of siding available on the market with vinyl siding being the most popular among them. The vinyl siding looks attractive and is easy to install. You can install the vinyl siding even if you are not a professional builder.
Here is an easy guide for you to help you decorate the exterior of your walls with some nails, panels and stuff that protects the walls beautifully.
- Getting Started: To begin you will need an extensive list of tools such as tin snip, measurement tape, chalk to mark the measurement and nail to secure the siding on the wall. Vinyl siding will cover almost all part of the exterior of the wall including the moisture marks and other structural defects. Therefore, do get the issues corrected before installing the vinyl siding. You will also need to remove fixtures such as wall mount and spouts.
- Measure Wall: After having cleared the wall of all the fixtures and fixing any structural defects measure the wall from eaves to the bottom. Divide the measurement of the wall by 8 inches which should be the size of one vinyl siding. Mark the measurement with a chalk and cut vinyl siding with tin snip if required.
- Place each Vinyl siding on the mark and secure it with nail and hammer.
- Make sure to hook the bottom tips of each pane under the starting strip.
- The strips should be nailed at the center of the slot while leaving enough room for expansion and contraction at the time of change in temperature.
- While securing the siding make sure to leave some gap between the vinyl and the nail so there is enough space for vinyl to expand and contract with temperature changes.
- Join the two lengths of strips siding together by overlapping them by 25.40 mm. Overlap the strip or side of the house that will be least used. So no one could notice the overlapping.
- Siding the Fascia and Soffit: Nail J-channels on the inner side of the fascia. The J-channel will provide a watertight seal to prevent rain water from damaging the exterior of the wall. While securing the J-channels center the nails in the channel slots and leave 0.7 to 1.6 mm of the nail head out. Two J-channels will be required to be secured to cover soffits. Siding the soffits run from the fascia to the edge.
- Corner Siding: There are two types of corners the inner corners and the outer corners of the wall.
- The exterior corner should be installed with a half inch of foam sheathing strips on both sides of the corner before installing the corner siding pieces. Place the siding pieces and nail them from top to bottom. Make sure there is no dent or the pieces are not bent before you nail them as you will not be able to correct any defects once the pieces have been secured.
- Use J-channels for inner corners.
- Siding the Windows: A lot of trimming and cutting may require for siding round windows. To side around the window, you will need to cut section as per the measurement of the window. Measure the area that would be covered by the pane and mark it with the chalk. Cut the panel as per the requirement and install the panel above, below and on the sides of the window.
- Siding the top row: Once you are done with siding around the wall, windows, and doors you will be left with the top row. To install siding on the top row first measure the area and cut the panel. Use a snap-lock tool to punch the edge of the top panel. The snap-lock will lock the panels without the need of nailing the panels. Simply slot the bottom edge of the panel under the top edge to form a locking system.
All the necessary points that should be kept in mind at the time of installing vinyl siding has been elaborated above. However, if you think you need some assistance, you can always call for a professional help. In case you are not sure what type of siding you should go for your house consult some professional or you can even ask your friends close ones to suggest. Vinyl siding comes in different format and texture. Some of them are glossy while some may be rough. You can decide the type as per the style of the house.
There are many tutorial videos and blogs available online that can further help you understand the ABCD of vinyl siding. The installation of vinyl siding is easy and doesn’t require any technical knowledge. You should, however, be well-versed about the measurement, calculations and must be able to cut and trim the panels as per the requirement. There are many tools available on the market that can come handy at the time of installing vinyl siding by yourself. Make sure you have a list of all the required tools as well as enough vinyl before starting the installation. Moreover, ensure that any defect on the wall is repaired before proceeding to the vinyl siding installation.
After having read the above points you will be able to install the vinyl siding on your wall and make yourself feel proud among friends and in the neighborhood. Do you know that vinyl siding can actually increase the value of your property? It is true that a house well-maintained and decorated is likely to have more value when compared with the ones located in the same locality. What are you waiting for? Get the exterior walls of your houses protected as well as decorated with vinyl panel today and witness a tremendous rise in the value of the property.